21 Feb Oxford Brookes University BSc Honours in Applied Accounting: A Basic Guide
What is OBU?
ACCA, in coordination with Oxford Brookes University, gives an exciting opportunity to all eligible students to obtain a universally recognized BSc Honours degree in Applied Accounting. Eligibility refers mostly to register within the last 10 years*. Unlike most UK universities that take 3 years to complete a Bachelor degree, the ACCA and OBU, having joined forces, allows you to complete your BSc course in the shorter time without compromising on study quality. Just like students of other universities on Accounting and Finance courses, however, struggling with ACCA exams is your demonstration of technical accounting skills. You are eligible after passing the required level/number of exams to enter for the degree and receive both a university qualification as well as accountancy qualification by ACCA, unless you choose particularly not to join the programme.
*Consult the OBU RAP Information Pack to check your eligibility and requirements. In case of doubt, contact OBU directly for a more personalized advice.
Fulfilling the OBU requirements takes quite a lot of focused hard work and diligence but most students are able to manage this in three months. So it is really achievable even for an average student! The work involved to pass is as follows:
- Research & Analysis Project (RAP)
- A 75,00 word report on one of the 20 given topics that meet OBU’s requirements
- Skills & Learning Statement
- A 2,000 word self-reflection on your process of completing the RAP objectives and their role in improving your study habits, interpersonal communication and future study/job prospects
- PowerPoint Presentation
- A short 15 minute presentation with appropriate slides
Many articles will guide you in greater detail over this but the OBU Information Pack is surely very helpful in getting started. On submission of your work, a submission fee of GBP200 has to be paid to cover OBU overheads and marking (levied by OBU to them, not us!). Result confirmation takes around 4-5 months, but if you pass the RAP then you will be granted a BSc (Hons.) degree.
The class of degree (e.g. First class honours, Upper Second etc) mostly depends on your GPA/average grade in exams, and not on the RAP’s grade (details are enclosed in the OBU Information Pack).
It takes around 3 months to complete the degree and another 5 months to receive confirmation of degree endowment. To gain the degree, a Research & Analysis Project (RAP) is to be submitted and the following eligibility requirements are to be met:
- You must have chosen to undergo the degree programme. This is chosen by default if you haven’t particularly chosen not to undergo, in which case you can reverse your choice BEFORE completing papers F7, F8 and F9.
- Passing F7, F8 and F9 to finish the nine required papers
- Completing the ACCA ethics module successfully
- The time gap between registering with ACCA and submitting the RAP must not be greater than 10 years
- Proof of English language competency. Qualifications that meet OBU’s proof of English Language can be found here.