23 Feb Top Reasons Of Failing in ACCA OBU RAP
If we analyze the data from Oxford Brookes University, nearly 50% of the students who submit their research and analysis projects or RAP fail in their first attempt. Most students feel confused about why this is the case with such a huge percentage of students. According to our analysis, these are the top 7 causes of failure in ACCA OBU RAP:
- Incomprehensively Conducted Data Analysis
- Erroneous or Lackluster evaluation of gathered information
- Lack of Sufficient Referencing
- Use of old, outdated information
- Failure in wholesome demonstration of IT skills
- Insufficient Knowledge and Application of Accounting and Business Models
- Absence of PowerPoint Slides
How to Conduct Comprehensive Data Analysis
This example will inform you about the way you can carry out sufficient data analysis while writing report on Topic 8. The company name and data sources used for the example are imaginary but the referencing method and graph is accurate. It must be noted that students are required to reference and label all the tables and graphs in the RAP.
Average Revenue Per User (ARPU)
ARPU is an important ratio in assessing the performance of a firm in the telecommunication sector as it helps in measuring the exact revenue that is attributable to every single user/subscriber. Therefore, any firm in this sector would need to see the ARPU grow on per year basis (Benjamin, 2010).
As Figure 1 depicts, the ARPU of Cell One for the last three years has remained significantly low in comparison to its competitor Safaricom. Additionally, Cell One’s ARPU has constantly and rapidly been declining than Safaricom’s, which is indeed a worrying trend. It can be attributed to the tough competition in the telecomm sector in Mexico and the pricing strategy adopted by Cell One. The fierce competition has pushed not only Cell One but other mobile operators to reduce their tariffs in order to main their respective market share (Peter, 2012). Moreover, tough competition has forced Cell One and other mobile operators to adopt cost-effective promotions’ strategy (Kipson, 2011). The GM (general manager) at Cell one has confirmed that the average revenue per user for Cell One is much lower than that of Safaricom’s primarily because of lowering the company’s tariffs to stay ahead of competitors in terms of affordability and attract potential new clients from other mobile operators and Safaricom (Ujanke, 2013).
Evaluation and Analysis of Information for ACCA OBU RAP
Inadequate evaluation and analysis of the gathered information is the top reason of failure, which requires an assessment of what is meant by adequate evaluation and analysis of information?
As far as Topic 8 is concerned, which happens to be the most commonly chosen topic for RAP, the following points can ensure adequate information evaluation, analysis and interpretation of information.
- Accurately calculated financial ratios including profitability, risk, investor and liquidity, for both the entity and its benchmark. Cash position of the entity also should be included.
- When analyzing trends for Trend Analysis, it is important to firstly identify and briefly describe the trend, as it is useful to plot the trends on a graph and make them more visible.
- Students need to consider environmental factors while explaining why the entity and its benchmark’s ratios are changed. For this purpose, if reference is taken from textbook explanations of the reason why ratios change then the result will be failure. Even if the student pass in all other aspects of the RAP then in this particular part the examiner will fail the student and the overall result will be a Fail.
- Conclusion part must be a short and exact synthesis of the abovementioned pointers.
For passing in this aspect of the RAP it is important to read business papers that report on your chosen entities as these would provide extensive insight into the way environmental and contextual factors impact the entity’s performance.
Additionally, the director’s report usually contains quite a lot of detailed information on the performance of the entity and why its performance is improving or decreasing. Yet, it is fundamental that you correlate the information acquired from external sources with the director’s report.
Lastly, internet serves as an excellent and indispensible tool for collection of environmental and contextual information.